Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

"The Injury"

“Service is the rent we pay for being. It is the very purpose of life, and not 
something you do in your spare time.” ― Marian Wright Edelman

My friend and fellow volunteer shared this quote with us and I really liked it and believe it so I thought I'd share :)

The title of the post is a very funny episode of the office which kind of reminds me of the stupid stuff I do to get hurt.

Due to a recent injury to both of my hands, this post may be a little shorter. Some of you know already, but for those who do not, I am clumsy. I don't mean I bump into things and trip once in a while, I mean I outright fall, a lot, along with the tripping and bumping. So, on my run Monday I ran the vuelta in my town, about 4 miles, at mile two I was walking down a hill, figuring running down it wouldn't be my safest bet, and as a truck was driving by I fell, not hard, just enough to be completely on the ground for them to see, laugh, and wave...which I reciprocated. I thought to myself, okay Alexa, that was a warning...be careful! I was careful, I got to the soccer field and was just about to stop running when whishhhhh, I fall. I fall hard. Of course I'm not thinking of the "best falling practices" everybody tells you about, so I stick both of my hands straight out to catch me while they slam into the dirt, rock filled road, along with my knees and stomach (thankfully not my face). First thing I did? Look around to make sure nobody saw, the construction workers on the salon apparently had the day off so I was in the clear. The next thing on my mind was, dang, I can't finish my workout and now I have to walk home, hands bloody, knees sore, and hope I don't see too many people. The only person I saw was a sweet woman who didn't laugh and only said "aww pobrecita" when I didn't say anything, held up my hands, and walked away to get to washing. I thought I was tough until I got home and started telling my oldest host sister what happened and I just burst into tears and laughter at the same time. Why? I'm not sure, I think I was still shocked but knew that it was funny because, well, I fell. So after she played doctor and bandaged me all up, I went on with my day, took a nap for a couple hours (along with my host sisters and mom in the living room...I got hurt! I thought I deserved it), and after washed the cuts with this alcohol scrub that said it was for wounds....only later (and after the burning pain) did I talk to Tyson and was told I only had to use soap, great. My thumb is still pretty swollen/immobile, but that should go away within a couple days. That was my great adventure of the week! Kind of a typical day for me, but with greater consequences this time.

Thanksgiving is coming up! I cannot wait because me and a few other volunteers are going back to Uvita to celebrate, I will miss home a lot of course, but come on...I'll be at the beach, I can't complain. We are going to have a potluck, eat it all, swim, talk, do whatever, and most of all, relax. I will be sure to get some pictures of the delicious food :)

Also, since December is almost here, and that means Tamale season is coming up in my town! I hear it is just a full month of eating, fiestas, and family time, I'm really excited to see how Christmas is in Costa Rica, just livin Pura Vida.

I hope everyone is doing well! Love you and miss you all every day :) I will post a picture of my right hand below...so if you do not want to see...exit the window now :)

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your dad...ouch and double ouch! You may be clumsy sometimes, but your writing is clear. I could feel your pain! Happy Thanksgiving, dear volunteer, with love from north central Minnesota. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks Carol! Happy Thanksgiving to you too, I'll be spending this year's at the beach so I can't complain :)

      Delete