A lot of people thought I was crazy for joining Peace Corps and would always ask me why I would want to do this. Why would you want to volunteer for two years and not make any money? Won't it be hard being away from home for so long? The answer to these questions always came really easy to me because yes, sometimes I can be crazy, but volunteering has always been really important to me and making money hasn't and of course I miss my family every day. But these answers seem so simple to me, and I imagine to the other volunteers, but seem so foreign to others. So if some of you are still wondering why I chose to do what I am doing, this is why.
I have had a passion for volunteering since I went on my first mission trip in 9th grade. I went on one every year in high school and were some of the best times I had. However, the moment that I think really decided these two years of my life happened when I was volunteering in Argentina in 2009 with some friends and I met a little girl named Flor, my Pacific Challenge friends can attest that I was in love, and she changed my whole view on life. I wrote my Peace Corps essay about this very little 5 year old girl and I have her to thank for putting everything into perspective and helping me know what I am meant to do...for two years at least. There are many reasons she influenced me so much but I won't go into them all now, I'll just say to never underestimate what you can learn from somebody, no matter how small they are.
![]() |
| This is Flor! :) |
I really just want others to understand why at least one Peace Corps volunteer decided to do this. I truly believe we all have a lot we can learn from everyone we meet, I try to keep an open mind and take advantage of meeting new people anytime I can, and I try to share my experiences with others. Sharing is caring right? ;) ...That was cheesy. I hope everyone has a great night!

Alexa, you are just awesome! I learn so much from you. I keep the picture of you and Flor on my desktop and have shown it to many people. I could not be more proud of you. I love you....Dad
ReplyDelete:) Thanks daddy, love you!
DeleteYou are such an inspiration to so many people Alexa, and I completely understand your passion for volunteering. I love hearing all of your stories and I am so proud of you for everything you are doing! I miss you but I am so happy I can keep in touch with you and I am so happy you are doing something you love!
ReplyDeleteYour volunteering spirit comes from the heart, Alexa. It cannot be taught. You know at at a young age that the volunteer is really the one who gains the most. Bless you and your work. Miss you! -Carol
ReplyDelete