So much for updating my blog often...turns out I'm not a very good blogger! I will try to give an overview on my past month without rambling on for too long, it's been pretty crazy!
Swearing in was on August 24 at the US Ambassador's house in San Jose, it was broadcasted live from the US Embassy's website so anyone watching could see us being sworn in and we all got to give a shout out and say something to the camera to our families watching at home. This is very neat, in theory, but not so neat when you are one of the three people who get completely cut out so the families at home miss what you say. Yes, that was me. Fortunately my dressed up self made it on camera until the Ambassador handed me my certificate but my shout out got cut out...sad news. However, I was told the camera man like me so I was shown a lot throughout the ceremony, better than nothing right?! Anyways, if you are at all curious what a Peace Corps swearing in ceremony is like, it is forever in the archives of the Costa Rican/US Embassy website. Following swearing in, most of us went to a hostel in San Jose to celebrate with many other Costa Rica volunteers, it was a fun night!
Saturday was a busy day of packing and me trying to fight off my two week long sickness. This didn't work well, I left early Sunday morning (about 5 am from my house) and started my 10 hour long trip to my site. The altitude was a horror for me because it turns out I had a very bad sinus infection and had a killing headache/toothache/earache/cough/couldn't taste until Tuesday when I finally went to the doctor in San Vito and got loaded up with medicine. Fun way to start out my service! ;)
Since then, I've been busy, not busy, stressed out, happy, sad, bored, excited...pretty much every emotion you could think of. Since arriving, I have seen 2 poisonous snake (don't worry...my host dad didn't hesitate killing them with his machete), milked FOUR cows, eaten fresh honey/raw sugar cane/cow heart/freshly made cheese/endless rice and beans/arroz con leche/miel de ayote (look it up)/freshly killed chicken/tilapia from my family's pond/and much more, all of which were delicious. I'm very lucky to have a host mom who is also an amazing cook. I have been to a bee farm, picked mamones (a delicious fruit), celebrated Costa Rica's independence day, been tormented by ants, and started english classes. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things too. It has been a crazy and great month and I am nervous/very excited to see all that is coming up.
Talking about ants, they are going to be what drives me insane. They love to show up in my computer, bed, desk, food, floor, walls...EVERYWHERE. They are so small but somehow one of the most obnoxious things I have ever had to deal with. I guess that's what I'll have to deal with living in a tropical country!
Between all of the craziness, I have been able to relax and even get back into working out. Even though I am high up in the mountains, I found a road to the next town over that is somewhat flat, so I run there almost every day, definitely a great stress reliever.
I started english classes this week, I am teaching them to the whole elementary school (about 87 students), Kindergarten through 6th grade, every monday three classes a day and Wednesday I have my kindergarten class. It is crazy and I'm not so sure about this teaching thing, but the kids are great and so excited to learn english, which all helps out a lot! My counterpart and I are also in the process of finding out ways to find funding to concrete the roads here. Hopefully that will work out soon! Everything is a lot of work but I'm eager to help out with it all and hopefully have success.
I feel like my community has accepted me pretty fast for being a gringa, I get many hugs and kisses (on the cheek) every Sunday at church and when I see community members on my walks around town. Everyone here is great, including my host family, who works so hard to make sure I feel like I'm at home.
I have gotten very lucky and even though I miss everyone from home so so much, I think I have the next best thing with my community. It is still as beautiful as ever and I can't wait to start having family and of course a certain boy come to visit. My community is excited as well :)
I will do my best to keep up with my posts, I hope everything at home is great!!!! Love you all!
Right outside the school
This is only about 1/4 of the road from my house to the school...
My first cow milking experience :)
Again, what a gorgeous tropical country! I'm envious. :)
ReplyDelete